Early Career Maize Breeding Online Course: Sep 3-26
This announcement was originally published on the website of the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT).
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) and the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) are pleased to announce the 2021 Early Career Maize Breeding Online Course. The course is designed for new and upcoming maize breeders from Africa’s public and private sectors who wish to learn about maize improvement targeted especially for stress environments. It is also suitable for breeders who already have experience working in maize improvement but want to gain new knowledge and learn innovative techniques that can enhance genetic gain and efficiency in their breeding activities.
- To impart research skills and knowledge needed to efficiently use modern breeding methods in maize breeding programs.
- To develop participants’ knowledge on product profiles and provide a platform upon which defining or refining their product profiles can be achieved.
- To familiarize participants with CIMMYT’s and IITA current research and breeding objectives and new improved stress tolerant maize germplasm.
- To foster teamwork and interdisciplinary research approaches.
Participants must fulfill the following requirements:
- BSc or MSc with at least two years of experience in maize breeding
- Active involvement in research in the areas of maize breeding, entomology, pathology, physiology and/or molecular breeding
- English proficiency
The course will be offered through different modules taught over six different dates: September 3, 10, 13, 16, 21 and 24. Please note that the dates have been scheduled based on the availability of teaching personnel.
Registration is open until August 30, 2021, through the CIMMYT Academy website.
For more information, please refer to the course brochure.